The Big Boys Curry Book
The thoran is the Keralan version of stir-fry and all over that state you find variations on the theme. Tindori (tindli or gentleman's toes) are a popular vegetable but you will find cabbage as the other popular choice for this treatment. This particular variation comes from a Das Sreedharan book. Das operates the very excellent Rasa restaurants in London. The recipe is for 6 people.
- 500g tindoori, topped, tailed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 5 tbsp oil
- 50g raw cashew nut
- 1.5 tsp mustard seed
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 200g fresh grated coconut
- In a medium pan, bring some water to boil in which you have added 1/2 tsp turmeric and a little salt.
- Add tindori and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- With 2 tbsp of oil, fry the cashew, stirring constantly, until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil, add mustard and fry until they begin to pop. Add curry leaves, chillies and chopped onion and stir-fry until onion is lightly coloured and softened.
- Add remaining turmeric and salt to taste, gently fry on for a minute or two.
- Add tindori and cashews and continue stir-frying for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add coconut. Transfer to serving dish and serve hot.